- National Youth Leadership Training NYLT is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide Scouts with the leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others. It will be held this year at Camp No Non Wah over 2 weekends (March 4-6 and March 18-20). Registration is open now and available here. This experience is offered to Scouts in the Coastal Carolina Council, and space is limited to only 45 Scouts..
- Summer Camp 2016 Mark your calendars for summer camp which be Mecklenburg County Council’s Camp Grimes in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, June 19-25. The fee is $280, with optional additional fees of $150 for the ATV program and $240 for the Trek to Summit Bechtel. A $20 deposit for each Scout will be due by January 15. We anticipate having at least 30 Scouts attend, so we need to have a parent contingent of at least 5 in order to satisfy Youth Protection Guidelines. Consider arranging your schedule now to attend for a partial or whole week.
- @troop20mp We hope to improve troop communications and instant messaging with our @troop20mp Twitter account. Follow us!
- Time change for Swim Test makeup Please note the change in time for next Wednesday’s make-up swim test. The pool closes at 7pm, so we will start at 6pm.
- September Service Opportunies Looking for service opportunities? September is your month! September 12: Adopt a Highway Cleanup from 8-9:30 am. September 12: The second event this day is a Trail Race to benefit the Lowcountry Autism Foundation. Volunteers are needed. Contact Ms Dixson for more details. September 19: We will be participating again this year in the Lowcountry Beach Sweep, cleaning up Hog Island off Patriots Point. Due to a midday high tide, this cleanup will be at approximately 4pm.
- Canoe Training / Troop Swim Test Mark your calendars for Saturday September 5, approximately 8:00am-4:00pm as Troop 20 Scout Thomas B will be leading a one day canoe training activity at Camp Moultrie. Note that this date falls on Labor Day weekend. We tried other warm water weekends but, unfortunately, the camp was booked. This training is necessary as the Troop is planning an overnight canoe trip this spring, and all Scouts who do not have the Canoeing Merit Badge will need to complete this training in order to qualify to participate in the overnight trip. Those scouts who have the canoeing merit badge do not have to attend this training, but are encouraged to attend in order to review these canoeing skills. In order for the Troop to plan (and/or conduct) water related activities such as this one, Scouts need to have taken the BSA swim test within the last 12 months. Approximately 75% of our Scouts have not taken this test in the past 12 months, so we are offering it this Thursday, August 13 at 7pm at the Hobcaw Yacht Club pool. Troop 20 Scouts (and American Red Cross certified lifeguards) Austin G and Noble G have volunteered to conduct this test for us. For those Scouts who took the test this summer at Daniel Boone or prior to the High Adventure Summit trip, I encourage you to retake it now as doing so will ensure that you will not have to be retested before summer camp next year. Additionally, all new Scouts need this test in order to satisfy Second Class requirement #8b (and while you’re at the pool, you could probably get #8c done too). If you are unable to attend this date, a make up session will be Wednesday August 19th at 7pm. Alternatively, if neither of these dates are convenient, Austin and Noble have offered to set up separate times as needed. If you need to contact them, remember that Youth Protection Guidelines apply, so include their parents in your correspondence.
BSA Troop 20 Events Add email@example.com to get events on your phone/tablet
PLC Leader Training
Starts: 8:00 am
Ends: December 5, 2015 - 11:00 am
Description: This PLC training is required of all PLC members who have been elected in November to serve the troop for the upcoming 6 months. Juice/Donuts/Breakfast biscuits will be provided for those Scouts who respond by Monday November 30.