- Summer Camp 2016 Mark your calendars for summer camp which be Mecklenburg County Council’s Camp Grimes in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, June 19-25. The fee is $280, with optional additional fees of $150 for the ATV program and $240 for the Trek to Summit Bechtel. A $20 deposit for each Scout will be due by January 15. We anticipate having at least 30 Scouts attend, so we need to have a parent contingent of at least 5 in order to satisfy Youth Protection Guidelines. Consider arranging your schedule now to attend for a partial or whole week.
- @troop20mp We hope to improve troop communications and instant messaging with our @troop20mp Twitter account. Follow us!
- Time change for Swim Test makeup Please note the change in time for next Wednesday’s make-up swim test. The pool closes at 7pm, so we will start at 6pm.
- September Service Opportunies Looking for service opportunities? September is your month! September 12: Adopt a Highway Cleanup from 8-9:30 am. September 12: The second event this day is a Trail Race to benefit the Lowcountry Autism Foundation. Volunteers are needed. Contact Ms Dixson for more details. September 19: We will be participating again this year in the Lowcountry Beach Sweep, cleaning up Hog Island off Patriots Point. Due to a midday high tide, this cleanup will be at approximately 4pm.
- Canoe Training / Troop Swim Test Mark your calendars for Saturday September 5, approximately 8:00am-4:00pm as Troop 20 Scout Thomas B will be leading a one day canoe training activity at Camp Moultrie. Note that this date falls on Labor Day weekend. We tried other warm water weekends but, unfortunately, the camp was booked. This training is necessary as the Troop is planning an overnight canoe trip this spring, and all Scouts who do not have the Canoeing Merit Badge will need to complete this training in order to qualify to participate in the overnight trip. Those scouts who have the canoeing merit badge do not have to attend this training, but are encouraged to attend in order to review these canoeing skills. In order for the Troop to plan (and/or conduct) water related activities such as this one, Scouts need to have taken the BSA swim test within the last 12 months. Approximately 75% of our Scouts have not taken this test in the past 12 months, so we are offering it this Thursday, August 13 at 7pm at the Hobcaw Yacht Club pool. Troop 20 Scouts (and American Red Cross certified lifeguards) Austin G and Noble G have volunteered to conduct this test for us. For those Scouts who took the test this summer at Daniel Boone or prior to the High Adventure Summit trip, I encourage you to retake it now as doing so will ensure that you will not have to be retested before summer camp next year. Additionally, all new Scouts need this test in order to satisfy Second Class requirement #8b (and while you’re at the pool, you could probably get #8c done too). If you are unable to attend this date, a make up session will be Wednesday August 19th at 7pm. Alternatively, if neither of these dates are convenient, Austin and Noble have offered to set up separate times as needed. If you need to contact them, remember that Youth Protection Guidelines apply, so include their parents in your correspondence.
- Eagle Coaching meeting 8/24 @ 6:45
The Eagle Coaching meeting will be on 8/24 at 6:45. The goal is to come up with a process so that everyone is heading in the same direction when working with Eagle candidates. We will open with a little history and then review the tasks and my experiences. With that information in mind, we will look for ways to move forward as a team.
- May Camp-out on the Yorktown
- April Camp-out at Cataloochee Valley in Smoky Mountains National Park
- March Camp-out for New Scouts at BP Recreation Area
- Summer Camp 2017
- February Camp-out Cusabo Plantation
- January Ski Trip to Wolf Ridge
- Winter Camp 2016
- November Camp-out Caving in Tennessee
- October Camp-out at Santee State Park
- September Camp-out at Capers Island
BSA Troop 20 Events
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat PLC Meeting 7:00 pmPLC MeetingMar 6 @ 7:00 pm – 8:15 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=667207Scoutmasters Meeting 8:00 pm Multi-Family Garage Sale (Benefiting) Troop 20 High Adventure Program 8:00 amMulti-Family Garage Sale (Benefiting) Troop 20 High Adventure ProgramMar 11 @ 8:00 am – 12:00 pmHelp our Scouts raise money to attend Chilkoot High Adventure Program in Haines, Alaska! Furniture, Household Goods, Kitchen Wares, Sports Equipment, Toys, Books, Clothes, Baked Goods, Coffee — You name it, we’ll have it! Thanks[...] Summer Camp – Deposits & MB Selections Due Tomorrow 11:45 pmSummer Camp – Deposits & MB Selections Due TomorrowMar 12 @ 11:45 pm – 11:45 pmPlease remember to pay your $150 deposit and provide your MB selections by tomorrow to the get best chance of getting your first MB choices. Pay deposit: https://squareup.com/store/bsa-troop-20-3 MB Selections: https://goo.gl/forms/kEszPFstXuoAhNST2 For more information please[...] Subscribe
Mar27MonTroop MeetingMar 27 @ 7:00 pm – 8:15 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=713489Apr1SatBridge Run Service Event @ Coleman Blvd.Apr 1 @ 7:00 am – 9:00 amThis is a service hours opportunity for the T20 Scouts (and parents who want to participate). For new scouts that are working on Tenderfoot Rank, you can fulfill your 1 hour of service requirement!!! We man a water station for the Bridge Run. Last year we met around 7:00am in front of the Baskin Robbins, and walked down a bit. Should be wrapped up by 9-9:30am. TShirts will be given to volunteers that sign up by 03/24/2017. Sign up at: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c084fada62aa57-cooper For more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=714150Apr3MonBoard of Review @ Grace HallApr 3 @ 7:00 pm – 8:15 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=715401Troop MeetingApr 3 @ 7:00 pm – 8:15 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=667208Apr8SatCataloochee Camping/Hiking TripApr 8 @ 8:00 am – Apr 11 @ 6:00 pmJoin Troop 20 for a trip to the isolated Cataloochee Valley on the eastern side of the Great Smoky Mountains NP! T20 will depart Scout Hut at 8:00 AM Saturday, April 8, 2017, arriving at the valley around 3:00 pm. The valley is full of elk, turkey, and other wildlife, along with cabins and churches from the original settlers. For the return, we will depart the valley at approximately 10 AM on Tuesday, April 11, 2017. T20 should arrive back at the Scout Hut around 6:00 pm. Eligibility: Because this is a remote campout, and because the group camp site holds only 25 individuals, we will limit participation to scouts typically eligible for High Adventure – those at least 13 years old AND Star rank or above. In addition, scouts should pack ALL GEAR in one backpack that they can carry to the campsite from wherever we have to leave the vehicles. NOTE: Temperatures may be very cold. We will update the group before departure on expected conditions and temperatures. ALSO, because this is an extended campout, scouts need PART C (the physician/provider medical exam) of the medical form completed. Parent or Guardian permission slip is due by Monday, April 3, 2017. For more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=591716Subscribe