- September Service Opportunies Looking for service opportunities? September is your month! September 12: Adopt a Highway Cleanup from 8-9:30 am. September 12: The second event this day is a Trail Race to benefit the Lowcountry Autism Foundation. Volunteers are needed. Contact Ms Dixson for more details. September 19: We will be participating again this year in the Lowcountry Beach Sweep, cleaning up Hog Island off Patriots Point. Due to a midday high tide, this cleanup will be at approximately 4pm.
- Canoe Training / Troop Swim Test Mark your calendars for Saturday September 5, approximately 8:00am-4:00pm as Troop 20 Scout Thomas B will be leading a one day canoe training activity at Camp Moultrie. Note that this date falls on Labor Day weekend. We tried other warm water weekends but, unfortunately, the camp was booked. This training is necessary as the Troop is planning an overnight canoe trip this spring, and all Scouts who do not have the Canoeing Merit Badge will need to complete this training in order to qualify to participate in the overnight trip. Those scouts who have the canoeing merit badge do not have to attend this training, but are encouraged to attend in order to review these canoeing skills. In order for the Troop to plan (and/or conduct) water related activities such as this one, Scouts need to have taken the BSA swim test within the last 12 months. Approximately 75% of our Scouts have not taken this test in the past 12 months, so we are offering it this Thursday, August 13 at 7pm at the Hobcaw Yacht Club pool. Troop 20 Scouts (and American Red Cross certified lifeguards) Austin G and Noble G have volunteered to conduct this test for us. For those Scouts who took the test this summer at Daniel Boone or prior to the High Adventure Summit trip, I encourage you to retake it now as doing so will ensure that you will not have to be retested before summer camp next year. Additionally, all new Scouts need this test in order to satisfy Second Class requirement #8b (and while you’re at the pool, you could probably get #8c done too). If you are unable to attend this date, a make up session will be Wednesday August 19th at 7pm. Alternatively, if neither of these dates are convenient, Austin and Noble have offered to set up separate times as needed. If you need to contact them, remember that Youth Protection Guidelines apply, so include their parents in your correspondence.
- Eagle Coaching meeting 8/24 @ 6:45
The Eagle Coaching meeting will be on 8/24 at 6:45. The goal is to come up with a process so that everyone is heading in the same direction when working with Eagle candidates. We will open with a little history and then review the tasks and my experiences. With that information in mind, we will look for ways to move forward as a team.
- Troop Family Cook-out Our annual cook-out is Monday August 17 at one of the shelters at Palmetto Islands County Park, starting at 4:30. The troop will provide hotdogs, hamburgers, frogmore stew and water. Bring your whole family! Give your head count to your Patrol Leader by Monday August 3. Families should please bring a side dish or dessert.
- Zip Line trip Our trip to The Gorge Zip Line in Saluda, NC has been confirmed for Saturday August 15. I need to have a firm headcount by Friday August 7, so please sign up here right away. We will be leaving the Scout Hut at approximately 7:30am and expect to return around 7:30 pm. Wear your Class B uniforms and bring $10 lunch money. If you didn’t pay for this trip as part of summer camp, then please visit the troop’s Square site to pay.
- Emergency Preparedness Day This event has been confirmed! Thanks to all who signed up for what looks like a fun day. We now have 28 participants for the Saturday August 8 event with the Mt Pleasant Fire and Police Departments. Please wear your Class B uniforms.
- Zip line trip We are looking for a date to reschedule our trip to The Gorge Zipline that will allow for a good turnout of at least 20 participants and have tentatively selected July 25th. Please visit the following link to sign up as soon as possible, www.doodle.com. If we don’t get a good response, then we will select another date in the future.
- July 20 Program Planning meeting Your PLC will be meeting on Monday July 20 at 6pm to plan our Troop activity calendar for the upcoming year. All Scouts, parents, and leaders are welcome to attend but only PLC members will be able to vote on any matters that need to be decided. What do you want to do this year – canoeing, backpacking, rafting, cycling, fishing, skiing? Voice your opinion to your Patrol Leader so he can vote for you. Pizza dinner will be provided.
- Honor Guard A special recognition goes out to Scouts Will Basco, Thomas Blyth and ASM Denis Blyth for their service as an Honor Guard unit for a recent funeral service. They went the extra mile to “be prepared” by obtaining a replica flag from the funeral home and repeatedly practicing. At the conclusion of the service, they were told by several attendees that it was the best flag service they had seen. Troop 20 is proud of these fine Scouts and will be using their recent service as an example as we launch our own Honor Guard initiative in the fall.
- PLC positions available !! Please contact Andrew Boyles right away (email@example.com) if you are interested in serving on his PLC starting in July. Note that you are expected to attend PLC training on Wednesday July 1 from 5-8:30 pm in the Scout Hut (pizza dinner will be provided), as well as our Program Planning meeting on July 20 from 6:00-8:30 (pizza and drinks provided). Scouts, give it some thought and consider helping Andrew lead the troop and satisfy rank advancement requirements for Star, Life and Eagle.
- Reminder – no Troop Meeting April 2nd
- April Camp-out at St. Catherine’s Island, GA
- Service Event – Bridge Run Water Station
- March Camp-out at Camp Sewee
- Camping and Cooking Merit Badge Overnighter
- Summer 2019 High Adventure Trip to Seabase **Update**
- Merit Badge Class – Citizenship
- 2018 Summer Camp at Ho Non Wah
- Okefenokee Swimming and Canoeing Proficiency Testing
- February Canoeing Camp-out at Okefenokee Swamp
- Summer 2019 High Adventure Trip to Seabase
- Scout Sunday on February 4, 2018
- Troop 20 Court of Honor
- Board of Reviews for Rank Advancement
- Service Event – Adopt-A-Highway Clean up
BSA Troop 20 Events
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat SOS: Second Class Req 7c – Drug/Alcohol Talk 6:00 pmSOS: Second Class Req 7c – Drug/Alcohol TalkOct 1 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pmThis is a T20 SOS (Sign Off at Six) event. If you need Second Class Requirement 7c, please come to this talk!! For more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1572398Troop Meeting – Money Monday for Morris Island campout 7:00 pmTroop Meeting – Money Monday for Morris Island campout @ Scout HutOct 1 @ 7:00 pm – 8:15 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1553502 Backpacking Trip – for Scouts at least 14yrs and First Class 5:00 pmBackpacking Trip – for Scouts at least 14yrs and First ClassOct 5 @ 5:00 pm – Oct 7 @ 5:00 pmThis is a 2 day backpacking trip for Scouts aged 14 and higher and at least First Class. It is led by ASM Holmi For more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1553698 SOS 6:00 pmSOS @ Scout HutOct 8 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pmSOS (Sign-Offs at Six) Come to the Scout Hut to meet with a Scoutmaster to sign off on your requirements for Scout rank thru First Class. We are here to help you, but you must[...]Troop Meeting 7:00 pm SOS 6:00 pmSOS @ Scout HutOct 22 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pmSOS (Sign-Offs at Six) Come to the Scout Hut to meet with a Scoutmaster to sign off on your requirements for Scout rank thru First Class. We are here to help you, but you must[...]Troop Meeting 7:00 pm Troop Meeting – Money Monday for Huntington Beach 7:00 pm Subscribe
Oct29MonTroop Meeting – Money Monday for Huntington Beach @ Scout HutOct 29 @ 7:00 pm – 8:15 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1556896Nov3SatAdopt a Highway Cleanup (can earn 2 service hours) @ MPPC Fellowship HallNov 3 @ 8:00 am – 9:30 amFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1348792Nov5MonTroop Meeting @ Scout HutNov 5 @ 7:00 pm – 8:15 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1556898Nov9FriHuntington Beach State Park campoutNov 9 @ 5:00 pm – Nov 11 @ 1:00 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1553510Nov12MonSOS @ Scout HutNov 12 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pmSOS (Sign-Offs at Six) Come to the Scout Hut to meet with a Scoutmaster to sign off on your requirements for Scout rank thru First Class. We are here to help you, but you must come prepared to discuss the requirements and bring your Scout handbook! For more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1701717Subscribe