- Time change for Swim Test makeup Please note the change in time for next Wednesday’s make-up swim test. The pool closes at 7pm, so we will start at 6pm.
- September Service Opportunies Looking for service opportunities? September is your month! September 12: Adopt a Highway Cleanup from 8-9:30 am. September 12: The second event this day is a Trail Race to benefit the Lowcountry Autism Foundation. Volunteers are needed. Contact Ms Dixson for more details. September 19: We will be participating again this year in the Lowcountry Beach Sweep, cleaning up Hog Island off Patriots Point. Due to a midday high tide, this cleanup will be at approximately 4pm.
- Canoe Training / Troop Swim Test Mark your calendars for Saturday September 5, approximately 8:00am-4:00pm as Troop 20 Scout Thomas B will be leading a one day canoe training activity at Camp Moultrie. Note that this date falls on Labor Day weekend. We tried other warm water weekends but, unfortunately, the camp was booked. This training is necessary as the Troop is planning an overnight canoe trip this spring, and all Scouts who do not have the Canoeing Merit Badge will need to complete this training in order to qualify to participate in the overnight trip. Those scouts who have the canoeing merit badge do not have to attend this training, but are encouraged to attend in order to review these canoeing skills. In order for the Troop to plan (and/or conduct) water related activities such as this one, Scouts need to have taken the BSA swim test within the last 12 months. Approximately 75% of our Scouts have not taken this test in the past 12 months, so we are offering it this Thursday, August 13 at 7pm at the Hobcaw Yacht Club pool. Troop 20 Scouts (and American Red Cross certified lifeguards) Austin G and Noble G have volunteered to conduct this test for us. For those Scouts who took the test this summer at Daniel Boone or prior to the High Adventure Summit trip, I encourage you to retake it now as doing so will ensure that you will not have to be retested before summer camp next year. Additionally, all new Scouts need this test in order to satisfy Second Class requirement #8b (and while you’re at the pool, you could probably get #8c done too). If you are unable to attend this date, a make up session will be Wednesday August 19th at 7pm. Alternatively, if neither of these dates are convenient, Austin and Noble have offered to set up separate times as needed. If you need to contact them, remember that Youth Protection Guidelines apply, so include their parents in your correspondence.
- Eagle Coaching meeting 8/24 @ 6:45
The Eagle Coaching meeting will be on 8/24 at 6:45. The goal is to come up with a process so that everyone is heading in the same direction when working with Eagle candidates. We will open with a little history and then review the tasks and my experiences. With that information in mind, we will look for ways to move forward as a team.
- Troop Family Cook-out Our annual cook-out is Monday August 17 at one of the shelters at Palmetto Islands County Park, starting at 4:30. The troop will provide hotdogs, hamburgers, frogmore stew and water. Bring your whole family! Give your head count to your Patrol Leader by Monday August 3. Families should please bring a side dish or dessert.
- Zip Line trip Our trip to The Gorge Zip Line in Saluda, NC has been confirmed for Saturday August 15. I need to have a firm headcount by Friday August 7, so please sign up here right away. We will be leaving the Scout Hut at approximately 7:30am and expect to return around 7:30 pm. Wear your Class B uniforms and bring $10 lunch money. If you didn’t pay for this trip as part of summer camp, then please visit the troop’s Square site to pay.
- Emergency Preparedness Day This event has been confirmed! Thanks to all who signed up for what looks like a fun day. We now have 28 participants for the Saturday August 8 event with the Mt Pleasant Fire and Police Departments. Please wear your Class B uniforms.
- Zip line trip We are looking for a date to reschedule our trip to The Gorge Zipline that will allow for a good turnout of at least 20 participants and have tentatively selected July 25th. Please visit the following link to sign up as soon as possible, www.doodle.com. If we don’t get a good response, then we will select another date in the future.
- July 20 Program Planning meeting Your PLC will be meeting on Monday July 20 at 6pm to plan our Troop activity calendar for the upcoming year. All Scouts, parents, and leaders are welcome to attend but only PLC members will be able to vote on any matters that need to be decided. What do you want to do this year – canoeing, backpacking, rafting, cycling, fishing, skiing? Voice your opinion to your Patrol Leader so he can vote for you. Pizza dinner will be provided.
- Honor Guard A special recognition goes out to Scouts Will Basco, Thomas Blyth and ASM Denis Blyth for their service as an Honor Guard unit for a recent funeral service. They went the extra mile to “be prepared” by obtaining a replica flag from the funeral home and repeatedly practicing. At the conclusion of the service, they were told by several attendees that it was the best flag service they had seen. Troop 20 is proud of these fine Scouts and will be using their recent service as an example as we launch our own Honor Guard initiative in the fall.
- May camp-out
- Reminder – no Troop Meeting April 2nd
- April Camp-out at St. Catherine’s Island, GA
- Service Event – Bridge Run Water Station
- March Camp-out at Camp Sewee
- Camping and Cooking Merit Badge Overnighter
- Summer 2019 High Adventure Trip to Seabase **Update**
- Merit Badge Class – Citizenship
- 2018 Summer Camp at Ho Non Wah
- Okefenokee Swimming and Canoeing Proficiency Testing
- February Canoeing Camp-out at Okefenokee Swamp
- Summer 2019 High Adventure Trip to Seabase
- Scout Sunday on February 4, 2018
- Troop 20 Court of Honor
- Board of Reviews for Rank Advancement
BSA Troop 20 Events
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Spring Break 2018 Camping Trip – St. Catherine’s Island 7:30 amSpring Break 2018 Camping Trip – St. Catherine’s Island @ Coastal GeorgiaApr 2 @ 7:30 am – Apr 4 @ 4:00 pmSpring break 2018 to Saint Catherine’s Island off the coast of Georgia. This undeveloped island has many unique features, including antebellum ruins, miles of undeveloped beaches, forest trails, and even Lemur colonies! Read more about[...]No meeting (Spring Break) 7:00 pm Cooper River Bridge Run water station (service hours available) 7:00 amCooper River Bridge Run water station (service hours available) @ MeetApr 7 @ 7:00 am – 9:30 amA fun event and you will earn service hours for rank advancement if you participate (and if you sign up early enough, you can also get a Bridge Run t-shirt). Please sign up now if[...] Scotland HA campout 8:00 amScotland HA campoutApr 14 @ 8:00 am – Apr 15 @ 12:00 pmBlair Atholl Jamborette 2018 Coastal Carolina contingent For more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1336298Cycling Opportunity 8:00 am Citizenship in the Community & Citizenship in the World MB Workshops 1:00 pmCitizenship in the Community & Citizenship in the World MB Workshops @ Scout HutApr 15 @ 1:00 pm – 5:00 pmI plan to run these in a condensed format with class meetings as well as individual assignments. Doing so will enable the scouts to progress through the requirements in roughly 7 weeks. Citizenship in the[...] Outdoor Recreation Night at Waterfront Park 7:00 pm Military Academy Day 2018 9:00 am Citizenship in the Community & Citizenship in the World MB Workshops 1:00 pmCitizenship in the Community & Citizenship in the World MB Workshops @ Scout HutApr 22 @ 1:00 pm – 5:00 pmI plan to run these in a condensed format with class meetings as well as individual assignments. Doing so will enable the scouts to progress through the requirements in roughly 7 weeks. Citizenship in the[...] Scoutmaster Meeting 6:00 pmScoutmaster Meeting @ Scout HutApr 23 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1348526Troop Meeting 7:00 pm Subscribe
Apr21SatMilitary Academy Day 2018Apr 21 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pmHosted by United States Senator Lindsey O. Graham Doors Open and Registration Begins at 9:00 a.m. Program begins at 10:00 a.m. Middle School and High School students are invited to attend the event to learn more about life at a Service Academy, the application process and how to apply for a Congressional Nomination. There is no cost to attend. Dress is business casual. JROTC cadets are welcome to wear their uniforms if they wish. Program includes presentations by: US Air Force Academy US Coast Guard Academy US Merchant Marine Academy US Military Academy at West Point US Naval Academy US Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board ROTC RSVP by April 10, 2018 via lgraham.senate.gov/academydayregistration Seating is limited, so you must register to attend. Please call (864) 250-1417 with any questions. For more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1323823Apr22SunCitizenship in the Community & Citizenship in the World MB Workshops @ Scout HutApr 22 @ 1:00 pm – 5:00 pmI plan to run these in a condensed format with class meetings as well as individual assignments. Doing so will enable the scouts to progress through the requirements in roughly 7 weeks. Citizenship in the Community has several requirements for which the scouts will need to attend external sessions. This will include a Town Council meeting as well as a Q&A session with a local leader. These sessions will need to be scheduled based upon availability. As such, the actual class schedule will evolve over the next few weeks. That being said, I would like to offer the first class on Sunday, March 4th. The classes will meet once per week (excluding the weekends of Spring Break) and conclude by Sunday, April 22. The tentative schedule for class meetings is as follows: March 4th March 11th April 15th April 22nd (if necessary) Between these dates, we’ll have to schedule the Town Council meeting, a Q&A session with a local leader, and 8 volunteer hours. For more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1323831Apr23MonScoutmaster Meeting @ Scout HutApr 23 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1348526Troop Meeting @ Scout HutApr 23 @ 7:00 pm – 8:15 pmFor more information please visit: HTTP://www.scoutbook.com/mobile/dashboard/calendar/event.asp?EventID=1348524Subscribe